Stress is the body’s natural response to changes in environment or routine that requires an adjustment to what is normal. Research shows that stress is linked with the topmost causes of death globally such as insomnia, sleeping disorders, chest pain, accidents, high cholesterol, cancer, heart disease, suicide, lung disorders, and cirrhosis of the liver.
That being said, how do we deal with this silent killer before it “deals” with us? today i bring to you foods that can help you relieve stress because some food indeed help to combat stress and stabilize blood sugar or, better yet, your emotional response.
- Green leafy vegetables: like spinach contains folate, which produces dopamine, a pleasure-inducing brain chemical that helps in keeping calm and focused.
- Dark Chocolate: has also been found to relieve stress and boost your mood. If you miss my post on the health benefits of chocolate click here
- Citrus Fruits: such as oranges and grapes contains vitamin c which helps to reduce stress and their aroma also provides a relaxing effect.
- Turkey breast: contains tryptophan,an amino acid found in proteinous foods which helps to produce serotonin (the chemical that regulates hunger and feelings of happiness and well-being).
- Walnuts: are highly rich in alpha-Linolenic acid and linoleum acid which helps in maintaining healthy blood pressure. It also contains polyunsaturated fatty acids which helps to maintain normal circulation and cardiovascular response to acute stress.
- Salmon: contains rich amount of omega-3 fatty acids which not only helps in brain function but also has the ability to reduce metabolic stress. It is also rich in Vitamin D which helps in managing mood and protecting against the effects of stress.
- Garlic: is highly rich in powerful antioxidants that helps to neutralize free radicals (particles that damage our cells, cause diseases, and encourage aging) Compounds such as allicin is also found in garlic and it helps to reduce to risk of cardiovascular diseases, cancer, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
- Oatmeal: contains complex carbohydrates which helps to maintain healthy serotonin levels and improve mood by creating a soothing feeling that helps overcome stress.
- Fermented Foods: such as yogurt contains beneficial bacteria in addition to calcium and proteins which not only helps to improve brain function but also relieve stress.
- Blueberries: contains anthocyanins which are antioxidants that not only give them their color but also assist the brain in the production of dopamine, a chemical that is critical to coordination, memory function, mood and improve the body’s response to stress.
- Crunchy vegetables: such as carrots and celery contains stress relieving nutrients.
- Seeds: such as flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds are highly rich in omega -3 fatty acids, zinc, potassium and magnesium and they all help in relieving stress.
- Avocado: is highly rich in potassium, vitamins E & B folate lutein, beta-carotene which all helps in reducing stress. It is also rich in glutathione, a substance that specifically blocks intestinal absorption of certain fats that cause oxidative damage.
- Bananas: are rich in potassium and tryptophan which helps in the formation of serotonin and melatonin thereby reducing tension.
- Green tea: contains an amino acid called theanine which helps in protecting the body against some types of cancer, boost the brain and improve mood.
- Exercise: adequate and regular exercise also helps in relieving stress.