It can be extremely embarrassing when someone shifts back while talking to you or they might even say “ewww” and tell you that your breath stinks! The most annoying part is that you may not even be aware until you get these reactions from people “after the conversation has turned sour by your breath’!!
Bad breath which is called Halitosis or Malodor is caused by the build-up of bacteria in your mouth. Sometimes, bad breath may be as a result of medical conditions such as diabetes, reflux, liver problems, chronic bronchitis, respiratory tract infections. So it is essential that you VISIT YOUR DENTIST REGULARLY to be sure that none of these is the culprit when tackling mouth odour.
However, you can get rid of it by following these simple steps.
- Brush twice daily and you can use a tongue scrapper to scrape off dirt.
- Floss regularly.
- Eat yogurt which helps to replenish the good bacteria in the gut thus giving a fresh breath.
- Moisturize by drinking enough water which helps to lubricate your mouth and wash off bacteria that causes bad breath.
- Chew sugarless gum that contains xylitol which helps to increase the flow of saliva in the mouth so bacteria are washed away.
- Drink less coffee and avoid smoking
- Eat fruits and vegetables like apples, lettuce, carrots, celery, pears and raw cucumber. These foods helps to wash off bacteria that causes bad breath and also add antioxidants that boost health, including dental health.
- Rinse your mouth after each meal, this will help re-balance your mouth’s pH levels.
- Avoid foods that are low in carbohydrates as they result in bad breath.
- Chew Bitter Kola.
- Visit a Dentist. If you tried all the above and you still have that terrible mouth odour, visit a dentist. Even if you don’t have any problems, visit the dentist regularly.