RAIN

Hello Lovelies! I know this may sound unbelievable, rain water comes from the cloud so why shouldn’t it be safe? Well, I am going to share some few things with you now so READ, LEARN and SHARE!!!

We all love the rain, it’s basically a form of escape from the harsh heat of the sun coupled with some cool and inexpensive water to drink and use for other house chores, some of us even bathe in the rain..lol.

However, scientists have discovered that rainwater is not as pure as we thought so we cant just assume it’s safe to drink. This is because rain passes through the atmosphere before falling to the ground, so it can wash different types of contaminants into the water such as bacteria, dust, smoke, soot, parasites, viruses, algae, bird poop, radioactive materials and  chemicals that could lead to various health issues.

Disadvantages of drinking rainwater includes:

  • Rainwater is slightly acidic compared to water from the ground or rivers.
  • Ground water comes into contact with naturally occurring minerals which are needed by the body and this is lacking in rain water.
  • Roofing materials, gutters, piping, and storage materials can introduce harmful chemicals like asbestos, lead, and copper to the water.

The “Good News” is that rainwater does not contain the levels of chemical such as Chlorine and fluoride that are used in water treatment and we can still drink it if we:

  • Collect rain water directly from the sky into a clean bucket or bowl and let it sit for at least an hour so the particles can settle to the bottom.
  • Filter it to remove other contaminants
  • Boil the water to kill pathogens and filter again.
  • Do not drink rain water falling near chemical plants or near the plumes of power plants, paper mills.
  • Do not collect rain water from puddles or into dirty containers.

 

Advertisements